. . . for Lauren and Lauren: Look like a runner

August 24, 2014

Look like a runner

This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #BalanceRewards #CollectiveBias


Apologies if you're getting sick of marathon type posts.  A month and half left and I'm pretty sure I won't be writing about a marathon for a long time.  If I mention thinking about doing it again stop me please.  I am not running another marathon for a very long time.  

Getting started.  As long as it works out with Chris' schedule, I run first thing in the morning.  We're getting to the point where training is taking up so much time.  The midweek runs are up to 9 miles, which is an hour and a half to me.  Weekends up to 16, which means almost three hours of running. The time commitment is huge and it's starting to take more and more motivation.  I can't not think about what I'd rather be doing like watching tv, reading, or just sitting for that long.  I've been tempted to run to dunkin donuts and just sit there for two hours instead.  The hardest part is getting started, which is why I like to get it over at the beginning of the day.  


Eating and Drinking.  I don't remember having this problem when I trained for the marathon last time.  I know I'm not old, but I honestly think the 5 years older is making a difference.  I can't seem to find the right things to eat and right amount of water to drink, before, during and after.  I either feel starving and thirsty or sick to my stomach from eating or drinking too much.  Please share your pre race meals with me!  While never a big fan of gatorade and nutrition bars before, I think that these may have helped me after my last long run.  

Looking like a runner. For the first many many weeks of running I honestly felt like I looked like I was going to die when I was running.  I'm surprised multiple cars didn't pull over and ask if I needed help.  After a month or so I finally started to feel like a runner.  There's an extra confidence and motivation that comes when you feel like you look the part.  My stride gets bigger, I move a little faster, and I'm happier when I remind myself to look like a runner.  Having cute workout clothes makes this easier! 

Tracking your goals.  Clearly I have a goal in mind, but once the marathon is over I don't want to lose all the running and training.  It's easy to be burnt out and I will definitely be taking some time off running, but I want a new goal, as it really helps me to stay motivated.  The last two marathons I was so sick of running that I didn't for so long and it's amazing how quickly you get out of running shape.  I don't want this to happen again, so I plan on keeping up to at least five or so miles frequently.  


Keeping track of your progress is so motivating.  When I passed 100 miles, and then 200 miles it's a rewarding feeling.  I've been logging my runs and following the hal higdon training program, but I recently was told about the new Walgreens phone app.  First of all they have all kinds of sections, like shopping list, prescription refill app, coupons, scanner (my favorite) and even an pharmacy chat. Makes it pretty convenient to ask about dosage for over the counter medicine or other related questions.  But they also have a place where you can log your daily physical activity.  The healthy choices feature is part of the Balance Rewards program and app, where you can set your goals, track your progress and log your activities, which will be great once I'm done logging my runs in my training app. 

#BalanceRewards #CollectiveBias

And a bonus is that you can get balance reward points for logging your goals, which means I started logging my runs here too.  When I logged into my account I was less than 1,000 points away from my next reward. After logging my runs for the next week I reached 5,000 points and earned $5 off my next purchase.  Which means free gatorade and power bars. (Or nail polish, make up or candy.  It's all about balance right?)  You can also log sleep hours (no points for moms with new babies in that category, right?), weigh ins, and heart rate.  Get 250 points for downloading the app, and then another 250 for setting your first health goal.  Check out other ways to earn points here.  


It's super convenient to have it on your phone.  I am a Balance Reward member but have no idea where my card is, but now I have it in the app on my phone.  Makes it super easy to look up coupons, ads and scan my reward card when I headed to the one down the street, the day before my long run to buy gatorade and power bars.  

After the run. There are so many lessons I've learned through running.  The biggest I think is to take it day by day and be proud of your accomplishments.  It's easy for me to think ahead and wonder how I'll finish longer runs, when I struggle with the milage for that day.  It's easy to be discouraged when I run takes me longer than I hoped or when I felt slow and out of breath.  But I know it's so important to feel proud and celebrate my accomplishments.  And reward myself with a little ice cream too. 

Image Map


3 comments:

Erin @ Love, the Campbells said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

It's seriously so awesome that you're so motivated with this marathon. I know I would have wussed out way before now but I really admire your drive. So excited for you girl!!

two birds said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

For me, it was always so hard to run the same route day after day. And there are such beautiful paths in Minnesota, it's hard to believe I ever got sick of them. But you're right, once you've started, it'sa lot easier to keep going! Running to the coffee shop does sound like a great idea, though!

Anonymous said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

Training for a marathon is such a huge accomplishment! I can only imagine how motivating it is to see your progress and rack up all of those Balance Rewards points by using the healthy choices feature! #client