. . . for Lauren and Lauren: "You've popped!"

October 4, 2015

"You've popped!"

dress: target   boots: justfab 

There are so many things about pregnancy that are just weird.  Your body is definitely not normal feeling and people make comments about your growing self often.  

My sister and I have had a few discussions with my mom about what may make a pregnant girl feel a little self conscious, like my mom saying "Woah, look at your belly!"  Which to me feels like "Holy cow, you're getting so fat."  But to her it's a totally acceptable thing to say as of course my belly is getting big, I'm pregnant.  She apparently was a confident pregnant women and doesn't remember feeling self conscious about her growing belly.  

And maybe she's right, but I have a hard time not feeling self conscious, especially when I feel like I am getting bigger so much faster this time around.  My question is though how do you respond when people say things that aren't a compliment so a "thank you" just doesn't fit?  

Like this week at least three people have said "Wow, you've really popped this week!" Or "You're definitely showing!" I usually laugh awkwardly and say "yep, I'm pregnant." 

What was or is your response?? Basically I just think people should only be allowed to say a select few things to pregnant woman.  Like "Wow, you are so beautiful," or "What a perfect belly!"  

P.S.  These pictures were from two weeks ago.  Never waste a good outfit to share, especially when you are pregnant.  My belly is has "popped" for sure this last week or so.  

Image Map

11 comments:

Kelly said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

This dress is so cute and I love your statement necklace!

xx Kelly
Sparkles and Shoes

Danielle Wallace said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

I've been struggling with the same thing lately! I'm just like "yeahh haha." I haven't gotten the "you're so big" yet, but I'm getting the "oh you're so small!" instead. I'm just like yepp, but baby is measuring right on track and my doc says my weight gain is perfect! The only thing that's slightly offended me was one of my older male co-workers said "Danielle, I see you're starting to get a pooch!" What I wanted to say back was "It's a baby bump, NOT a pooch." But instead I just awkwardly laughed and continued on to my desk. Anyways, you look great! I can't wait to see your "popped" belly ;)

The Olive Tree Blog said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

Sooooooo. When I was pregnant with Jude a girl at church touched my belly and told me, " Awwwww look. You finally look pregnant. Your past the stage where people are like...is she getting chubby? Or is she pregnant? Is have chubby? Or is she pregnant? ... My thoughts were wait..." You just thought I was getting chubby the last few months????? With Lyla I got big...and people let me know that. With Brooklyn I was sick towards the end and I was small and losing weight...and people pointed out how small I was and if I was healthy...so either way people have an opinion. Just smile and move along. PS you look adorable btw.

Denise said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

sweety, you are gorgeous

Kelley @LoveLikeCrazy said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

I was going to say, you look smaller! Haha. I'm with you, I hate when people are like my coworker "you're huge compared to yesterday!" ..thanks. I have no good replies. But I did hear that if someone reaches out to touch your belly, you can make them feel super uncomfortable by reaching over and touching theirs. Hahahaha. I'd never have the balls to do it, but the thought is hysterical.

Lauren {By Lauren M} said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

YES. People need to keep the majority of their comments to themselves. "You look great/beautiful" or "You're glowing" should be the only comments made. I had one women tell me at the gym, "wow you just keep getting bigger and BIGGER!" I told her, "yep, that's kind of how it works," and I could tell she got really embarrassed. Comments on a woman's size should just be avoided! It's awkward for everyone!

Fizz and Frosting

J and A said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

Love that outfit! Right now I am getting WOW you sure are pregnant! Yes yes I am thank you! :) ha ha

Foxy's Domestic Side said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

That dress is so cute, I want to go get one too :) I really hated that too, sometimes just to make them feel awkward I would say, "thanks for telling me I'm fat" and then they would just stand there awkwardly. Or like you I'd say, yep, last time I checked I was pregnant. So annoying.

Unknown said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

People definitely don't have a filter when it comes to pregnant woman. I do hav one friend who tells me almost daily how beautiful I look and how perfect my belly s, I try to think about that when others say things like, wow you look like you're ready to go....when I still have 10 weeks left....
Love the dress too, BTW.

Angie said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

You are stunning and I just love those shoes.

For me, I think pregnancy is a beautiful thing so when I say things like your getting so big it's truly a compliment. Pregnancy is a blessing and I think most people don't realize that sometimes being pregnant, we don't always feel beautiful!

Unknown said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

I've been getting a few similar comments, but I don't mind them, really. I think people are just excited for you and want to acknowledge that they finally see signs of the baby in there. I definitely don't think they mean anything more than that, or to offend you in any way. I have read many blog posts over the years that also say the same thing, but I think perhaps people are being a tiny bit oversensitive. (Sorry, but just being honest ha!) Pregnant women get big bellies lol. It doesn't make them fat, it makes them pregnant. ;-)