. . . for Lauren and Lauren: Two

October 10, 2016

Two

Image Map

Two things lately have really been stressing me out and making me feel discouraged.  Addilyn's separation issues and Isaac's sleep.  Or lack there off.  

I signed Addi up for preschool this year, really only because I wanted her to get better at leaving me and having other adults help her, teach her, etc.  The first three drop offs went great and I was shocked. Since then each drop off has been really hard, where the teacher ends up pulling her off of me while she's crying for me.  The last drop off, she started the night before crying that she didn't want to go.  I've talked with her teachers and they say she is fine after a few minutes and she's happy when I pick her up.  But leading up to it she isn't happy about going at all and it's a struggle.  I watch all the other parents drop their kids off and they run inside and play and are happy.  I want that to be us.

Isaac is not a good sleeper.  At all.  We "sleep trained" which I hate that word and he went from a terrible sleeper to a bad sleeper, so while there's some improvement I'm tired and discouraged.  He goes down awake now for naps and night but wakes up often and if we let him cry, he cries a long time and we'll have some days of decent nights, then back to waking up many times.  His naps are still 30 minutes long and I have a hard time not feeling so envious of babies that sleep well.  I can not wait to sleep more than three hours at a time.  

I've been trying harder lately to ask God what he is trying to teach me in both of these areas. Selfishly I keep thinking maybe if I learn them quickly they will both improve, but know that if that is my motive my heart isn't in the right place.  

And while I know God can teach you things in every area, little to big, I think it comes down to the fact that parenting is just hard.  And it's not even or fair.  Babies and kids are all so different and even if you doing everything "right" some just struggle in some areas and no matter what you do, it's just how it is.

So for now I'm working on doing the best I can in both of those areas, and remembering that's all I can do and the rest is out of my control.  Continue to show up with Addilyn at preschool, remind her that I'll come back and know that this is good for us both.  To remember that this phase of sleep with Isaac will not last forever and sleep will come some day.  

To remember that these things might be hard for a little bit or they might be hard for awhile.  But they will not be hard forever.  And to hold on to sweet moments like the one above.



4 comments:

Unknown said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

Bless your heart, girl, I hope you get a good night's sleep soon!! I hate to even say it, but lucked out with two good night sleepers. Naps are hit or miss but getting better. I honestly don't know what I would do otherwise. Katie had a rare night of being up at 3 am last night, I'm thinking a little sleep regression stage, maybe? But I was dragging so much at work today. I can't imagine it on a daily basis!! Sending hugs!

Megan said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

Hi Lauren, this is my first time commenting but I've been reading your blog for a while now. We have kids that are similar ages, I have 2 boys, one is 2 1/2, the other is 8 months. We had the same issues dropping our 2 year old Alex off when he started nursery at the end of August. It probably took 3 weeks for him not to cry when his dad dropped him off and just one more week until he started being happy to go to school. And the baby was just like Isaac with naps... 30-45 minutes at the most no matter what I tried. Finally around 6 months we started to get 1 good nap a day and then it became 2. He still regresses a bit during Wonder Weeks but is doing much better. Hang in there!

Sarah said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

Hi Lauren!!

Long-time reader of your blog! :) I have two little girls (ages 4 and 3) plus another little lady due in two weeks! I don't have any advice, lol, but I just wanted you to know you are NOT alone!

Let's start with school- my oldest, Cami, started at age 2 1/2 and was fine from day 1. Loved it. My littler one, Maisie, started at age 1 1/2 and was a wreck until age 2 1/2 (they also go part-time). She turned 3 in September, and while she's definitely not "thrilled" about leaving me in the morning, she doesn't cry. I honestly think it's an age thing. Maisie cried the entire three hours for the first three months that she went, which completely broke my heart.

And for sleep - neither one of mine have ever been good. We sleep-trained Maisie at four months which helped, but like Isaac it was never "good." Cami actually has woken up multiple times until age 4. Maisie now wakes about once and that's been happening for about three months, lol. So, just as I start getting actual sleep, I'll have a newborn!!!

Praying for you!!!!! You are an awesome, awesome mama!! Keep up the good work!! And thank the Lord for coffee!!! :)

-Sarah www.thefrugalmillionaireblog.com

Stormy said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

Hugs momma! We're actually having similar situations around here. Garrett has been SUCH a clinger lately and even dropping him at my parents while I go to work has been an issue some mornings (and he LOVES it there!). Gannon is a FAR better sleep than Garrett ever was (he didn't sleep through the night until he was around 2.5 years old) but I still find myself getting 2-3 hours of sleep each night. Garrett has also recently regressed in the sleep department and is up 1-2 times each night. It's so, so frustrating! I can literally count on my hands the number of times I've slept through the night in the last 3 years...exhausting!