. . . for Lauren and Lauren: Peace out paci

June 14, 2017

Peace out paci


I'm not even embarrassed to admit that Addi still has a pacifier until two weeks ago.  And I fully planning on having her keep it until she turned four, and honestly probably could've rationalized it after that. Some five year olds suck their thumbs right?  Addi would even use the phrase "I'm addicted to my paci," I'm sure because she heard us say it, but it was true.  And we let her use it far too often. Always for naps and bedtime, usually in the car and against our plan after she turned three other times during the day when we were home and I often didn't push it.  We had talked a ton about how when she turns four she can't use it anymore and we planned on having a little "paci party" and her words, she wanted a big bonfire and to throw them all in and then pick out a special toy.  I was DREADING it because I knew it'd be really hard. 

Well we were forced to get rid of it two weeks ago when she had to have a tooth pulled at the dentist. She had a cavity in one of her molars and then chipped that tooth.  They thought they could put a cap on it or do a filling but it was too close to the nerve so they pulled it.  It sucked.  But probably worse than that actual tooth pulling was that the dentist said she couldn't suck on her pacifier for three days so that her gums could heal.  I felt so bad for Addi because she had a traumatic experience pulling her tooth and then couldn't have her major comfort thing.  It was a rough few days.  She cried a lot, slept quite a bit less than normal and asked for it all the time.  

I didn't have the heart to tell her that she probably was not going to get it back after those three days, as I felt like if we went through all that I did not want to have to do it again come July.  Two weeks later and she occasionally asks for it but more in a "I miss my paci" way and not "Can I have my paci?"  BUT I am still mourning it's loss.  Seriously.  She has napped once since then.  I know we were so lucky she was still taking naps more than half the days, but I am still mourning their end. She also has been waking up about an hour earlier most days and still struggling at bedtime.  I am not giving it back of course, but have been so tempted many times.  I know it has to keep getting easier, but I miss those two hours or so of sleep a day!  

I know it was a blessing in disguise to be forced to get rid of it and have a reason to motivate us. Part of me feels a little guilty for letting her keep it for so long, as I feel like she's having to learn how to self soothe when she's tired or hurt or crabby, when she would just use her pacifier before. Transitions have never been my strong suit at all, so I'm not surprised this has been an adjustment for me. 

I really am proud of Addilyn and how she has done.  The other day she told me "I decided I don't want my paci anymore.  I realized life is good without a paci, and one day I'll say 'Back in the day I used to have a paci."   Gosh, I sure do love her.  

 

Image Map

7 comments:

Unknown said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

Even after Grant gave up naps I still sent him to his room with his iPad and a snack, that gave me a break and he had games he could play or watch a show on Netflix. Maybe that would work with addi?

Family, Fun & Favorites said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

Hang in there Mama!

Kayla said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

I just had My almost 5 year old get rid of his. It was rough and he's also not napping much anymore :( But I'm still sending his to his room to play quietly for 1.5 hours for my sanity! I knew naps would end when I took it away which is why I waited so long! Luckily my other two have never used them so I don't have to do it again!!

Laura Darling said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

I can't believe she said that! What a big girl!

Susannah said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

Oh poor girl with her dentist work! I'm so glad she's adjusting well to no paci! <3

Midwayedancer said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

Does her brother use one? I have a year old who is also paci addicted but her 1 year old brother still uses one. I don't want him to have to give it up but when he has one and I say no to her, she has a meltdown. I dread weaning two kids at once.

Midwayedancer said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

3 year old**